Thursday, October 02, 2008

Overheard at the Junior Lego League Meeting

The scene: an organizational meeting of the junior lego league, in the elementary school cafeteria. We're sitting at the picnic-table-style tables, listening to a badly undermotivated teacher explain the lego league. TB and I are patiently waiting for something to happen. A Dad with three boys sits down next to me.

Teacher: and the projects are really about creativity, you know, thinking outside the box...

Boy 1: What box?

Dad: Shhh.

Boy 1: WHAT BOX, DADDY?

Dad (urgent stage whisper): The box inside your head.

Boy 1: I DON'T HAVE A BOX IN MY HEAD!

Dad: Shhh!

Boy 1 (to boy 2): I don't have a box in my head!

Boy 2: Boxhead!

Boy 1: I'm not a boxhead. You're a boxhead.

Boy 3 (laughing): boxhead...

And another figure of speech dies at the junior lego league meeting.